Lebanon bans Bahrain’s banned opposition from holding events in Beirut


On Thursday, Lebanese Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi said he was banning “two events” organized by Bahraini opposition figures that were to take place next Friday and Monday.

“If these two events were to take place, they would undermine official authorities in Bahrain and the Gulf Arab states, thereby blocking Lebanon’s efforts to strengthen ties with these countries,” Mawlawi said in a statement.

In October last year, Saudi Arabia and its allies, including Bahrain, suspended diplomatic relations with Lebanon after comments by then Information Minister George Kordahi, criticizing the intervention military from Riyadh to Yemen.

Kordahi resigned in December in a bid to ease the impasse, part of diplomatic efforts to restore confidence between Beirut, struggling with an unprecedented financial crisis, and the Gulf states.

According to Mawlawi, the events were to take place at a hotel near Beirut airport, in the southern suburbs of the capital – a stronghold of the Iran-backed Shiite Hezbollah movement.

In July 2016, Bahrain’s judiciary dissolved Al Wefaq over allegations such as “hosting terrorism”.

Al Wefaq has close ties with Hezbollah.

Mawlawi did not specify who was organizing the planned events in Beirut.

Previous Legendary investor Bill Miller said more volatility is coming, backed Meta and revealed Peloton is on his radar in a new interview. Here are the 9 best quotes.
Next Hundreds gather in rare protest in southern Syria